Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Stout


Sierra Nevada is largely known for their famous Pale Ale, a beer that I've never been hugely impressed by, but as far as a mass-produced beer, it's certainly not bad.  That said, it seems like I've started seeing more variety from them in the past few years; I'm not sure if this is due to my imagination, to my increasing interest in small-batch beers, or an actual effort on their part to diversify.  Regardless, these more interesting brews have been most impressive to me, and none more so than their first (of a series of four) 30th Anniversary Ale.  To celebrate the brewery's significant anniversary, the brewers are teaming up with other brewers from around the country to produce four different types of beer as one-off releases; if this bottle is any evidence of what's to come, I predict that I'll be buying multiples of each release as soon as it appears on the shelf.

The 30th Stout is an excellent demonstration of what a stout can be: malty, toasty, and extremely complex.  The initial flavor is an almost overwhelming maltiness that is counterbalanced by the toasty bitterness from the darker grains present.  As the beer lingers on the palate, mild hints of fruit come out, followed shortly by a strong espresso flavor that holds long after the beer is gone.  The stout's typical light carbonation gives it almost a creamy head that helps lighten what is most certainly a high-gravity beer.  Little in the way of hops are immediately present, but then, the point of this beer is to highlight malt, not flowers.  As you may be able to tell, I cannot recommend this beer highly enough; the unfortunate fact that it is a limited one-time release (which, sadly, was released over a month ago) leads me to suggest that if you find it on the shelf anywhere, buy it immediately.  If nothing else, it's robust enough to age well on the shelf for years to come.

Pairing Suggestions
A beer of this magnitude is probably best paired with rich hearty fare; I picture a greasy leg of roast beast with a very distinct flavor that is not at all mild.  A good grilled tri-tip roast or rack of ribs would do well here, as the weight of the beer would go well with the weight of their flavors.  Additionally, much like the Bison Chocolate Stout, this would do well as a dessert beer, paired with dark chocolate (a mousse, perhaps?) or cheesecake.  If you're feeling heretical, I bet it would reduce into a fantastic steak sauce, but please don't tell me if you end up doing so; this beer deserves better.

No comments: