Friday, May 21, 2010

Oatmeal Crepes

I had to harpoon it with a toothpick because it was so small that it wouldn't fold properly.


My continuing mission, and I have chosen to accept it, is to take oatmeal to the limits of its integrity as a foodstuff. To that end, I thought I'd give this recipe for oatmeal crepes a toss with just a smidge of a change.

Oatmeal crepes:
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 2 tsp. white all-purpose flour
  • 2 packets Splenda sweetener (or omit for a plain crepe or use about 4 tsp. sugar)
  • pinch salt
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Put the oatmeal in a food processor and process as finely as possible to get oat flour. Add the flour, salt, and Splenda (or sugar) and give the process a quick hit to mix them in. Add the milk, egg, and vanilla and blitz in the processor until thoroughly mixed. Allow to rest while you warm up a non-stick skillet.


Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Oil, butter, or put margarine in the skillet and pour in enough batter for a small, thin crepe. Cook on one side until set (the top should look pretty dry) and flip and cook about a minute or two. Makes about 3-4 small crepes.

Total calories: 184 for the whole batch
3 crepes: 61 calories each
4 crepes: 46 calories each

Flipping these crepes was challenging. Mine stuck like mad despite my using butter one time and margarine the next (and a non-stick skillet). At first, I made a big crepe and it simply tore up too much during flipping. It could be my craptacular pans or spatula (or my ham-fisted handling), but it seemed super delicate.

The thing about this which surprised me is that it tasted great by itself as a fresh crepe. It was nicely sweet, had a good flavor overall, and was similar to a pancake. I'm not sure if the flour I added did anything for these or not. I mainly added it because my food processor isn't very good and I didn't think my oat flour was really fine enough and I wanted a little boost to the cohesion of the crepe.

I had one of these the next day filled with yogurt, unsweetened applesauce and blueberries and it was good, but lost some of it's appeal. I think they'd be fine the next day, but it'd be best to warm it in the microwave first to give it back a bit of its "pep".

I'm going to give these another go. They're essentially my attempt to make the base for a low-GI dessert for my husband, but also to just try something new. I think they're actually pretty good, though not as thin as a conventional crepe by a long shot.

by Shari (Orchid64)

No comments: