Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid IIPA


Although most craft beer drinkers are likely familiar with Lagunitas due to their widely-distributed IPA, they actually produce a rather wide variety of other beers, most of which I would consider highly drinkable.  That said, given my latest penchant for Imperial IPAs and their bretheren, it should be somewhat unsurprising that I gravitated immediately to their "Hop Stoopid" ale, which proudly boasts that it brings 102 IBUs (International Bitterness Units - a scale that is supposed to top out at 100, but the recent surge in robust IPAs has most breweries claiming higher).  Since the brewers seemed to have me pegged (I was drawn not only to "stoopid" for the word itself, but for their choice of spelling), it seemed only appropriate that I give it a shot.

As one might expect from an IIPA, the Stoopid was extremely floral, with notes of flowers that I don't know how to pick out, so don't ask.  This is balanced by a nice level of fruit, notably oranges and apples from what I could tell.  Despite its appearance in the photo, the carbonation was relatively light on the tongue, which goes well with its medium gravity level.  Considering its claims, its bitterness wasn't really as high as I anticipated; certainly it was lower than other IIPAs I've had in the past.  That said, this certainly isn't a complaint; I would definitely recommend this one.  As far as this variety goes, it can't match Stone's Ruination, but it certainly makes a valiant attempt.

Pairing Suggestions
The fruit and mild bitterness level of this beer would lead me to believe it would pair well with roasted (or ideally, grilled) pork.  A good pulled pork sandwich would be fantastic, but it would probably also do well with a thai-style dish, as it would do well to balance a mild spiciness.

No comments: