Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stone Ruination Ale


At the risk of coming across as one of those people who sit around with fellow snobs talking about a particular drink's "mouthfeel" and "citrusy notes", this post marks a style that is new to my blog: a brief review of something I recently (or more often than not, not-so-recently) consumed. In most cases, this will involve beer or wine, but this could certainly change at my every whim. This is ostensibly in an attempt to keep track of the many varieties I end up trying, if for nothing else than to make sure I keep track of mistakes and don't end up repeating them. These posts will most likely come across as standard wine-tasting elitist jargon, but hell, it's my blog so shut up.


Stone's Ruination is a fitting first review post as it's one of my favorite beers for the time being. In my book, it is the India Pale Ale against which all other IPAs are judged, and as such, little that I end up drinking meets with its high standard. In my relatively limited home-brewing attempts, I've already tried to match its splendor twice, both times with inadequate (albeit still tasty) results. The only problem I have with this beer is that, much like most craft brews, it comes with a rather high price tag and must be enjoyed infrequently lest one's wallet protest too much.

After the inital pour, Ruination exudes a great deal of fruit in the smell alone, largely citrusy (ha! Told you!), but with some sweetness in the end. Its taste evokes a combination of pear, apple, and lemon flavors tempered with the IPA's signature high level of hops. The carbonation level is medium, balancing well with the crispness of the taste. The hops are not as bitter as one might expect, but this is probably due in part to the fruit helping to moderate the alpha acids present. As would be expected, there is little in the way of malt flavor, resulting in a low-gravity beer that is quite refreshing for a warm day.

Pairing Suggestions
Dishes designed to accentuate the beer's fruitiness (or rather, vice versa I suppose) would be best. It works well with fattier foods as the acid levels help cut through the richness present in the food itself. Fish, particularly catfish, works quite nicely. Tomatoes or cole slaw are also good ideas.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I think all good beers come with a price tag.

Orchid64 said...

I always knew you were a closet snob, though the use of "shut up" does reveal your boorish nature. ;-)

I'm not interested in libations, but I think the hub might be interested since forking over cash for imported beer here costs a pretty penny and hearing about whether something is worthwhile or not may be of assistance to him as he swills from time to time as well.

Orchid64 said...

P.S. This beer gets bonus points for the cool label.

Shawn said...

Sharon: Good beers tend to not come cheap, but this one perhaps more so than most. A 6-pack runs $16, which is slightly unusual :)

Shari: If you like the label, you'd love the description written on the back. I'll have to remember to try and snag a shot of it.