Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Peanut Butter Baked Oatmeal


As I mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to try baked oatmeal with peanut butter instead of pumpkin. I figured this would improve the protein profile as well as possibly make this similar to an oatmeal peanut butter cookie in taste. Since peanut butter contains oil, I decided to forgo adding any oil to the batter this time around.
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granular Splenda (or use white or brown sugar)
  • 5 tbsp. peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup low-fat milk (or use whole milk)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F./175 degrees C. Grease and flour a loaf pan.

Put the egg, Splenda (or sugar), flour, salt, vanilla and peanut butter in a medium-size bowl. Whisk until the peanut butter is well mixed in. Add the milk and whisk until thoroughly mixed into a smooth, wet paste. Stir in the oatmeal and baking powder until evenly mixed. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set.

total for entire loaf: about 1100 calories
6 servings: 183 calories each

Since I'm concerned about sugar because of my husband's blood test results, and Skippy has added sugar, I looked into the nutritional information and determined that each serving of this oatmeal has only 1 gram of sugar (about 1/4 of a tsp.) of sugar from the Skippy. I can't imagine that is a dangerous amount of sugar or that it isn't offset by the amount of protein and fiber in the peanut butter. I also checked on oatmeal, and a 1/2 cup of dry oatmeal has 1 gram of sugar. That means each serving of this has around 1.5 grams of sugar and about 6 grams of protein (from the egg, oatmeal, and peanut butter).

When I tasted the batter for this, I thought it was very sweet compared to the pumpkin version. I used Skippy peanut butter, which has sugar added to it (because that was all I had), so I thought I could scale back the Splenda, but the truth is that the end product was not as sweet as the batter by a long shot.

This was okay, but I thought it came out too dry (note: my husband, who this is made for, was satisfied with the texture and didn't find it too dry). Part of the problem with sugar-free food is that the moisture-enhancing properties of sugar are lost. I think I might need to add some pureed bananas or apples to this next time to moisten it up a bit. It'd probably take about a half cup of either. When I give that a try, I'll post a modified recipe.

by Shari (Orchid64)

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Is that 1/2 cup of splenda? Judging from the rest of the recipe, that's my assumption, but I wanted to make sure before attempting it myself.

Orchid64 said...

Sorry, yes, it's a 1/2 cup. I'll fix that up so there's no confusion.

This is actually Tito's favorite breakfast option at the moment and I try to keep some in the freezer at all times. You might like it better with a bit more peanut butter since you're not trying to lose weight (maybe try one more tablespoon first and see if that works).