Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bread Machine Hamburger Buns


In Japan, I can't buy hamburger buns unless I go to an import shop. There are a few Japanese-made buns, but they are also only sold in the "gaijin ghetto" areas. For the record, the "gaijin ghetto" in Japan isn't some poor area with disadvantaged people. It's a very wealthy area full of people who are here on expense accounts and can afford maids and cars and to buy food from home all of the time.

My husband bought a bunch of American hamburger (you can't buy all-beef burger in my local markets - it's a pork/beef mix) and we've been waiting for the serendipitous appearance of the proper buns for him to eat them. Unsurprisingly, the burgers have been languishing in the freezer and the bun genie hasn't shown up to grant our wish.

If you don't have access to hot dog or hamburger buns, you may not realize how important they are to enjoying these foods. A good burger bun has to be soft, but not so soft that it squashes. It also can't absorb too many juices and turn all pink and icky. It also can't be too hard or the burger will tend to squish out or be hard to bite into. Finally, it can't be too sweet. One problem with all of the Japanese buns and rolls is that they're all noticeably sweet, even when they're designed for sandwich-making.

I decided to give in and try to make my own buns, but I'm also lazy so I wanted to do part of it in the bread machine and I didn't want to go shopping for special ingredients. I found a well-reviewed recipe on Recipe Zaar, but I didn't have bread flour so I decided to modify it to suit what I usually have on hand. Mainly, I had to use all-purpose flour and whole wheat.

The recipe as modified for my needs is:
  • 1 1/4 cup slightly warm milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp. Canola oil
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (can be reduce and replaced with flour)
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
  • melted butter for brushing
Put all of the wet ingredients into your bread maker's pan then the whole wheat flour. Add the remaining dry ingredients except the yeast which should be placed in a well in the flour. Use the bread machine's "dough" setting to prepare the dough.

When the dough cycle has completed, roll the dough out (divide if necessary to accommodate your rolling space) and cut using a glass or biscuit cutter about the right size for your buns. Brush with melted butter. Allow to rise until doubled in size and bake at 350 degrees F./180 degrees C. for about 15 minutes. Note that my oven tends to be slow so your time may be shorter. I also use porcelain baking sheets which are slow to heat.


These made buns which were tender and soft, but I think they puffed up too much. I added 1/4 cup of vital wheat gluten to offset the fact that I wasn't using bread flour (which is higher in gluten) and the fact that I was using wheat flour (which often needs gluten to boost its rising power). I think I'll use the same recipe in the future, but roll them thinner and cut them smaller.

The texture is actually very much like what you'd get from a good commercially made hamburger bun. I was really quite pleased with how they turned out (except for the size).

by Shari (Orchid64)

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Those actually look remarkably "normal"; it's amazing the things that can be made at home that never occur to those of us who have them easily obtainable.

I'm curious: do you need to add the butter before rising, or was that just the order you usually do it? I'm wondering if it has any affect on the rising process (I don't see why it would, but that's why I figured I'd ask :)

Orchid64 said...

I think they'd look more "normal" if I rolled them more evenly. Because you cut them as discs, they develop a "seam" in the center like you see store-bought buns.

I think the butter added before rising stops the top from drying out. That being said, I did it wrong and added the butter afterward (and only then realized that I should have done it before). So, I don't think it matters that much. ;-)