Monday, September 7, 2009

Best Pancakes Ever


Sometimes I just want to eat something because I like it rather than it being good for me. This is pretty much the case all of the time for my husband when it comes to things like pancakes. While I will compromise and eat whole wheat pancakes at least half of the time to make sure that I'm not overdoing the white flour, he has no interest in such compromises. Honestly, I don't blame him.

For quite some time, I've had a print-out of a recipe from Joy of Baking that I've used for pancakes. The printed recipe is starting to seriously show its age, and I have no confidence that the Joy of Baking site will remain forever (though it has been around for a very long time!), so I'm going to repeat my version of the recipe (which is slightly modified) here for posterity. I have more confidence that Blogger will be around for ages rather than an individual cooking site.

The main changes I've made in the original recipe are for expedience and to make thicker pancakes. The Joy of Baking version calls for melted butter as the fat component and I just use Canola oil. Since pancakes are always buttered anyway, I just don't see the point of fussing with using melted butter in the batter. I'm sure it would lend more flavor, but not enough for the added effort. It also calls for a full cup of milk and I reduced that to 3/4. In fact, I think it might be better if your like thicker pancakes to drop that down to 2/3. Sometimes, I also add about a 1/4 tsp. vanilla or a dash or two of cinnamon to the batter, but the syrup I make (yes, I make my own syrup) now contains vanilla so I haven't been bothering.

Here's the recipe:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tbsp. white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp. Canola oil
  • 3/4 cup milk
Beat the egg, oil, salt, sugar, and milk (and vanilla if using) together until completely blended. Sift (or sprinkle) the flour and baking powder (and cinnamon if using), over the wet ingredients. Mix it until well-incorporated, but not necessarily until lump-free. A few small lumps are fine. You don't need to over-mix.

Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet over medium-high to high heat. Make sure it is thoroughly heated then add sufficient butter to coat the bottom of the pan. You can make any size pancake you like, but I usually use 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake. The important point is flipping them at the right point. If you flip them too soon, they will break apart. If you flip them too late, they won't be fluffy. If you flip them twice, they will be tough. Flip them when the edges are slightly dry and bubbles just start to pop through the top of the center.

This makes about 10 pancakes that are 4 inches in diameter. It's usually more than my husband and I can eat in one sitting so I either put the remaining batter in the refrigerator and use it the next day or cook up all of it and put the remaining pancakes (usually 3 of them) on a wire rack to cook then reheat them in foil in the toaster oven.

You can also make homemade "pancake mix" using this recipe by putting together all of the dry ingredients and using about 1 1/4 cups of mix with 1 egg, 3/4 cup of milk and 2 tbsp. oil. I usually mix up the dry stuff the night before and leave it in a covered plastic bowl and just add the wet ingredients in the morning, but I only do one back at a time rather than prepare a lot of mix.

by Shari (Orchid64)

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Interesting... that's almost the same as the recipe I use except mine takes butter instead of oil. Is that what you changed, or was it the proportions? I think yours also uses a bit more liquid (milk, though I use half and half or buttermilk if I have it on hand) than mine as well.

Orchid64 said...

I changed both the butter and proportions. I reduced the milk by 1/4 cup and I used Canola oil instead of butter...because I'm too damn lazy to melt it (and it solidifies and clumps up quickly when added to the milk and egg anyway).

I think buttermilk would be good, but they don't sell it in Japan.