Saturday, August 7, 2010

Whole Wheat Griddle Scones



This is a minor variation on a Scottish griddle scones recipe that I came across via Tastespotting. The result is rather interesting because these are halfway between a pancake and a scone. I liked them and if you're in the mood for scones and don't want to use your oven or if you're in the mood for pancakes but don't have any syrup, these are really quite nice and they can be whipped up very fast.

Whole Wheat Griddle Scones
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of butter or margarine (I used reduced fat spread)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3 packets Splenda (or use 1 tbsp. sugar)
  • cinnamon (about 1/4-12 tsp.)
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of milk with 1 tbsp. vinegar added
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and Splenda (or sugar) until fully blended. Cut the margarine or butter into the  four mixture with a fork until it is rather crumbly. Add the vanilla to the milk that has been curdled with vinegar a little at a time until the dough comes together. You may not need to use all of the milk. Pat into a circle about 1/2 inch thick (about 1 cm.) and cut into 4 scones.


Cook the scones in a buttered skillet over medium-high heat until browned on both sides. You should flip them when they appear a bit dry about halfway up the sides.

I wasn't such a great fan of these when fresh (likely because of the whole wheat flour which improves in texture overnight after the moisture balances out), but I froze the remaining ones and then wrapped them in foil and heated them in the toaster oven over the next few days. Having one split open with yogurt and apricot fruit spread was delicious. I don't know why, but the yogurt really did something for them which margarine and jam alone did not.

by Shari (Orchid64)

2 comments:

DJ LosAngeles said...

Made these this morning and froze them anticipation for Saturday, since you said they were better later on. I had a little one right off though and it was surprisingly good! I'd tried the original scone recipe before but this one was better. One problem I had was that I suppose I added too much milk, even though I only put in about 1/4 cup...I had to add a lot of flour to make it come back together. Also I burnt them trying to get them to cook through, though not to the unedible stage. Suggestions for how to cook them through without burning? What do you use to grease the pan?
Thanks for the recipe!

Orchid64 said...

Hi, DJ. You do have to be pretty careful with the milk. The original recipe called for much more than I needed. I think when I made them I used about 2/3 of the 1/2 cup (a bit more than you). I think the type of whole wheat flour plays a part in this. I use bread flour, which can absorb a lot of moisture.

I buttered the skillet. You may want to try cooking yours at a lower heat. The type of pan you use has a lot to do with it. A thicker bottom pan will conduct more heat through and possibly cause them to burn than a thicker one, and cast iron will also cook them differently than teflon. I'd try going with medium or medium low heat instead of medium high. I use gas, so electric settings may also be different.

Good luck!