Thursday, June 17, 2010

Chickpea salad (revamped)

This is my old picture. It didn't look much different so, I was lazy. Sue me.

This recipe originally appeared on the Kitchn, as "Chickpea of the Sea".I was generally okay with it the first time I tried it, but it was a bit too sour for me. Here is the latest version, which I was happier with:

Chickpea Salad:
  • 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp. drained plain (unsweetened) yogurt*
  • 1/2 tsp. whole grain mustard
  • 1 tsp. seasoned rice vinegar
  • 2 slices white onion, cut in half
  • garlic powder, salt, and hot pepper flakes (to taste)
Pulse the chickpeas, spices, vinegar, onion and mustard in your food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until mixed. Spoon onto a layer of lettuce on your bread of choice. Top with thinly-sliced tomatoes. This made three servings for my appetite.

This was milder than the previous version and I felt that the sour flavors of mustard and vinegar didn't overwhelm the chickpeas as they did last time. I felt that having less vinegar and mustard and more hot pepper flakes (I used a 1/2 tsp.), salt, and garlic worked better - more flavor, less sourness.

I had this as an open-face sandwich and it was quite tasty. One-quarter of the batch was a good serving for me. I did a rough calorie calculation and this is about 175 calories per serving.

*drained yogurt is plain yogurt that has been put in a coffee filter and suspended such that most of the liquid drains off.

by Shari (Orchid64)

No comments: