Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Blueberry Slushy Dessert

I know, it looks like purple poo. :-p

Note that you'll need a blender to make this.

My husband and I bought an enormous bag of frozen blueberries at Costco and I've been trying to think of ways to use them ever since. It's not that I don't like blueberries, because I like them quite a lot. It's simply that I'm generally not eating the types of things which go well with them like oatmeal. That being said, I did actually stoop to eating oatmeal because I had the blueberries.

Lately, I'd been adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of blueberries to frozen banana drinks to get the nutrition without too much of an imposition on the taste. Again, I like blueberries, but I wanted the banana drink to be banana-flavored.

I had tried to get together a blueberry version of the banana frozen drink I had, and I could never get the balance right. Using milk in particular seemed to add a funny taste and since the blueberries are more watery than bananas, it diluted it too much. After some experimentation, I came up with the following combination which worked well:
  • 1 cup crushed ice
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries (unsweetened - I used Radar Farms)
  • 2-3 packets of Splenda sweetener (or use whatever you like - sugar, honey, etc.)
  • 1 tbsp. powdered milk
  • 4 tbsp. (about 1/4 cup) unsweetened yogurt
  • a squeeze or two of lemon (to taste)
Add everything to your blender and frappe until it is well blended. It'll be thick and you'll have to pause occasionally to scrape down the sides. It should be similar in thickness to gelato.

The lemon is pretty important so don't skip it. It adds another flavor dimension to this rather than leaving it tasting rather flat (which is a problem with using only blueberry in my experience). It also makes a rather large serving.

by Shari (Orchid64)

No comments: