Monday, January 4, 2010

Homemade Tomato Soup


(Note: This is another transfer of a recipe from my old personal blog with some small modifications.)

Back when I was a child, my mother used to buy huge amounts of tomatoes when they were in season and "stew" them for canning. I'm not sure how she did this as the process was of no interest to me, but I only knew the result was vats of smelly, wet, over-cooked tomatoes and jar after jar of them which were put in the cellar for later consumption. When she used those tomatoes, it was always in a manner which pretty much ended up with us simply eating the tomatoes as they were right out of the jar. I think one of her favorite ways was to slop some of them on bread with nothing else.

I love tomatoes and I eat fresh ones with a little salt and pepper several times a week. They're very good for you because they're full of vitamin C. When I was a kid, I'd eat them like apples (and without salt). However, my mother's methods of preparing and serving canned tomatoes put me off of them for decades. Since fresh tomatoes are relatively expensive in Tokyo (about 80-100 yen each unless you get a good deal and buy them in bulk), using fresh ones for cooking can get really pricey. Last week, I saw a can of "Frana" Italian tomatoes imported for Meiji for 100 yen and decided that I'd make a soup recipe I ran across via the Kitchn web site.

As is so often the case though, modifications were necessary because of differences in ingredients in Tokyo, free time, my personal tastes, and expenses. I'm not a fan of celery, and it costs a fortune here anyway, and I can't buy canned chicken soup stock nor get my hands on a whole chicken to make some (or even chicken with bones other than tiny little pigeon-sized drumsticks). I decided to omit the celery and substitute chicken consomme soup for the stock. I think it may actually have turned out more flavorful for using the dehydrated cubes instead of real stock. I used Knorr (the type sold in green and yellow boxes with a white chicken graphic on it), but any type will probably do.

One of my students bought a case of Campbell's tomato soup at Costco awhile back and gave me two cans because it was too sweet for her. I'm not a big fan of Campbell's soup, but at least I have sampled it recently enough to compare this homemade stuff to the usual dreck and this is much, much nicer. We had the soup with grilled sandwiches, but I think it'd be really tasty with bread or toast for breakfast.

Tomato Soup:
  • 1 tbsp. Canola oil
  • 1/2 large onion or a whole small one
  • 1/2 medium carrot
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1 large garlic clove, peeled, and sliced into quarters
  • 2 cubes chicken consomme
  • 2 cups water
  • dash (about 1/4 tsp.) coarse black pepper
  • 1 fresh tomato, cut into quarters or eighths
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional)
  • cream to garnish (optional)
Heat a heavy bottom sauce pan over medium heat, add the oil and saute the onion and garlic clove until just softened. Add the carrot and fresh tomato (if using) and cook for about a minute. Stir in the parsley and add the tomatoes. Add the water, sugar (if using) and consomme cubes to the pot. Add the black pepper and simmer the soup until the carrots are tender. This should take about a half hour.

Remove the pot from the stove and use a hand mixer or food processor to purée the vegetables to an even consistency. A hand mixer is better because you can directly work in the pot and it's not as messy (and the soup stays hotter). Taste the soup and add salt as you feel is necessary (I added 1/2 tsp.). Depending on how potent you like your soup, add cream directly to the soup or stir in just a bit as a swirl garnish when you serve the soup (I usually don't bother). I added two tablespoons of cream, but the original recipe called for up to 1/4 cup. Frankly though, the cream isn't necessary and can be omitted to save calories.

The fresh tomato adds a nice dimension to the flavor and ramps up the relative tomato flavor, but isn't necessary. I usually make this only with canned tomatoes because that's what I have on hand. That being said, it is a little nicer with a fresh tomato added in.

I stand by my original conclusion that drinking this helps one fight off a cold! And I don't need to tell anyone that this is fabulous with grilled cheese sandwiches.

by Shari (Orchid64)

2 comments:

Shawn said...

Just tried this and it appears to have turned out well :) I made some minor changes to accommodate my pantry:

Used 2 whole tomatoes
Added celery to use up some that I had
Subbed 2 cups of chicken stock for consomme and water

Not sure that they really changed things much; I had to use stock as I can't seem to find consomme or bouillion anywhere. Stupid US and its anti-MSG agenda... Regardless, it went well with a cheese sandwich :)

Orchid64 said...

Did you use only two tomatoes or two in addition to the canned tomatoes? My main concern with using chicken stock is that it will lack depth of flavor (because there are spices in the cubes that aren't in stock). I guess I have no concerns about anti-MSG because it is sold in salt shakers here. :-p

I'm glad it turned out well for you though!