Thursday, June 12, 2008

Nanaimo Bars


Given that I apparently haven't experimented with any new creations lately, last weekend I had the urge to try something new. Something different. Something... Canadian. Yes, the same place that brought us the NHL and Celine Dion somehow managed to find the time between creating additional plagues on humanity to produce a dessert so wonderful it may almost make their previous crimes worth enduring. The slice of paradise pictured at the top of this post is by far one of the best baking experiments I have picked up, and while complicated and rather time-consuming, provides rewards that will have your palate begging--nay, demanding--that you deliver more.

Fine, so I'm indulging in a bit of hyperbole. I don't really hate Canadia (yes, I know how to spell it. But this is more fun!) and Celine Dion is not a plague so much as a punishment for some crime we can't recall. That said, I maintain that the Nanaimo bar is just as delicious as I described, although this statement is based partly on the potential I taste in the recipe. I don't consider this the best version that can be produced (indeed, next time we're going with peanut butter flavor!), but the very fact that it is so easy to tailor to a specific taste has planted this recipe firmly in my pile of "things I'll make more than once a year".

It is definitely worth noting that my idea (and the recipe for it) did not spawn from nothing; my inspiration was drawn largely from here and here. I used two references in order to determine the substitutions I could make in order to compensate for not caring enough to go out and find "European style cultured unsalted butter". While I'm sure the stuff is fantastic, I suspect I'll survive with just my run-of-the-mill Costco butter. However, from these two sources, I created my hybridized version thereof. Future attempts will include additional modifications. A lot of ingredients? Yes! Yes it is! For sanity's sake, I'd recommend breaking this recipe in three distinct segments. Thankfully, it does this for you anyway!

Nanaimo Bar Recipe (consists of three layers)
Preheat oven to 350F (only used for first layer)

Bottom:
1/2c Unsalted butter (melted)
1/3c Sugar*
1/3c Unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Large egg
1.5c Cinnamon-sugar graham crackers*
1/2c Pecans (crushed)
1c Coconut (shredded)
1tsp Vanilla extract

*More observant readers will notice that I reduced the sugar from 1/2c. This is because I couldn't find your regular everyday graham crackers, and had to use the pre-sugar/cinnamoned variety. It should also be noted that my coworkers detected the note of cinnamon and deemed it a "very nice addition", however accidental it may have been.

Middle:
1/2c Unsalted butter
2tbsp + 2tsp Heavy whipping cream
2tbsp Vanilla pudding mix
2c Powdered sugar
1tsp Vanilla extract

Top:**
6 Squares bittersweet baker's chocolate
1.5tbsp Corn syrup
3oz Heavy whipping cream
1/2tsp Vanilla extract

**No, I didn't use the topping recipe from either source listed above. Instead, I took the advice of some of the recipe commenters and used a Ganache recipe from Good Eats as the topping. True to the reader's remarks, this made for a topping that wasn't so stiff that it shattered when consuming it and was overall what I felt to be a good substitution.

For the crusty base:
1) Mix the butter, sugar, and cocoa in a large bowl until well combined. Use a bowl that seems far larger than necessary; you'll want the extra room.
2) Add the vanilla extract and egg and mix. Set the bowl aside.
3) In a gallon zip-top bag, crush the graham crackers and nuts (I did this by hand for fun, but those of you with food processors can use those, if you call that living).
4) Add the coconut to the bag and mix thoroughly (read: Zip up and shake!)


5) Add the contents of the bag to the bowl and mix with a spatula until combined.
6) Press the mixture into a well-greased 9x9 pan and bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.

As seen above, my "well-greased" pan is actually lined with parchment. This made final dessert extraction significantly easier, and I highly recommend the practice.

For the custard center:
1) Cream the butter, pudding, and sugar until well-mixed and fluffy.
2) Add the cream and vanilla and continue mixing until it reaches the consistency of frosting.
3) Spread the mixture on top of the cooled bottom layer and refrigerate for at least an hour to let it set.

I had intended to take photos of the creaming process for examples, but forgot up until I started refrigerating it. But you know what frosting's texture is like, right?

For the ganache topping:
1) Simmer the syrup and cream in a medium saucepan.
2) While waiting for the mixture to reach a simmer, use a serrated knife to break up the chocolate chunks into more manageable pieces.
3) Once a simmer is reached, add the chocolate and remove from heat.
4) Stir until the chocolate is well melted and the mixture is smooth.
5) Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
6) Spread the ganache on top of the dessert.
7) Refrigerate for another hour to allow the chocolate to firm up. Note that while this step isn't necessarily required, omitting it will make for a very gooey top when cutting the bars.

Again, I forgot to take more pictures. Still, it's a simple process. Note how nicely the block came out of my pan. Thank you, parchment!

Future modifications:
As I said, this dessert turned out great and I'm hesitant to tweak with it much. ...Ok, I'm lying; it *was* great, but the "custard" center wasn't quite what I had hoped for (seeing as how it wasn't a custard at all). For my next attempt, I'll mix some peanut butter into this layer and increase the volume a bit so it makes a thicker and denser filling. The other problem was that the bottom layer turned out to be half the dessert! While it was tasty, I wanted more cream and chocolate top and less graham cracker. Consequently, I'll attempt to make more ganache and custard and reduce the amount of crust in my next try. Still, I heartily recommend trying this actual recipe out first before making your own tweaks. Seeing the final product gave me a much better idea of what I wanted to be different. Plus, more dessert is always a good idea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking at this recipe made me hungry. And I just ate!

Looks wonderful. Play with the peanut butter version and post the adapted recipe. :-) Save me the trouble.