Friday, May 2, 2008

Onion Dip

Last weekend during the NFL draft, my roommate and I decided we needed a large quantity of junk food to properly celebrate the first real football-related action during the long drought that is known as the off-season. As part of this master plan, I determined to cobble together a mess of loose ingredients I had left over from various other projects into a functional dip. I've always enjoyed onion dip more than salsa or plain ranch, and since I had seen a recipe for it on TV recently, I decided to give it a shot.

Recipe stolen virtually unmodified from Good Eats.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
4-5 green onions, diced
1 shallot, diced
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3-4 grinds of pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Heat a medium sautee pan on medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is warmed, add the yellow onion, shallot, and 1/4tsp salt. Sweat the vegetables, stirring occasionally, until they are browned and soft (the linked recipe claims about 20 minutes; I left it for about 25 or so) and add the green onions. Sautee for another minute or two and remove from the heat to let the veggies cool. At this point, the onions should look like this:


While the onions cool, mix the sour cream and mayo in a mixing bowl until its thoroughly blended. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix again until the ingredients are incorporated, as shown below:


Mix the onions into the cream/mayo bowl and stir with a spatula until the vegetables have been distributed. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors meld properly. Make sure to stir the mixture again before serving, just to loosen things up a little. Serves more than two, in my experience, and goes well with potato chips, veggies, or other things you dip into stuff.

1 comment:

Shari said...

This is the first time I've ever seen an onion dip recipe where the main part of it isn't "add packet of dehydrated onion soup to sour cream".

This looks great and I may try it some time. I do doubt, though, that you and the Big I don't have junk food around all the time. ;-)